Friday, April 13, 2007

goodbye Kilgore...


My favorite literary superstar passed away yesterday. Kurt Vonnegut. He was 84 and smoked like a chimney but did not die of lung cancer.

I loved his writing style. he would tell you how the story was going to end at the beginning of the story, sometimes in the first few pages. The characters were always interesting.

one of my favorite books is Galapagos, the story of how we humans evolve a million years from now. It was interesting from a biologist standpoint, humans have stopped evolving. At least that is what I took from the book. We keep everyone alive as long as we can. In nature, not all babies make it to reproductive stage. Many die via predators, the environment and other causes. Humans save everyone, even the sick that would be weeded out in nature. Vonnegut explores that theme and how we "evolve" when placed back into a natural setting where we have to fend for ourselves.

My other favorite book is Cat's cradle. I like the idea of the karass and the granfalloon. I like the idea that we are connected to random strangers by our thoughts and actions. also Ice-nine is cool. I did not know that he wrote this book to receive his Master's degree. Interesting.
I will miss his writing.

1 comment:

Steph said...

well, on behalf of..me. .., i'd like to say that i'm grateful for modern medicine; without which i would not be here for you all to enjoy today.

:)