Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Clarkia rubicunda...

I collected this beauty in the hills above Orinda. The common name for this plant is farewell to spring because the flowering time is June or July. Sometimes common names make sense!!!This species is a member of the Onagraceae family. Onagraceae as a general rule have 4 petals and 8 stamens and members of this family are easily identified.

This flower was conspicuous compared to the other vegetation found at the site. All the grasses are brown and flowers such as these are easily noticed. This photo from the web captures the habit well. Notice the red center of the flower. I wonder if the pollinators are attracted to that red center?

I love this new feature of my blog. I have identified 4 plants so far. I get practice keying out plants, keep my botanical identity, and have something to blog about. Nice!

3 comments:

Erica said...

beautiful pics. my favorite is the second one!

Cindy Bean said...

I love this new feature too!

Craig said...

Dirty Santos-

Are all of the plants your bloggin about natives? Or, are there some sneaky weeds making their way into our eduaction?

yours in biology, CR

p.s. herps are better!