Monday, August 28, 2006

check out the State of Jefferson

In November 1941 southern Oregon and northern California succeeded from the union creating the State of Jefferson. Check out this map, it is a sizable area. Their beef... they wanted better roads to access timber and mining resources and were upset with taxes. So in 1941 they became the 49th state (51st today) and tried to succeed from the union. This lasted two months until the bombing of Pearl Harbor snapped them back to their senses and they came "back" to the union and helped in the war effort. They eventually got their roads to the timber and I guess decided that succession was not necessary.

I have spent some serious time in the State of Jefferson this summer working on my research project. NPR was my source of entertainment and the station based out of Ashland states they are broadcasting from the "mythical State of Jefferson" and I never knew what they were talking about. Now, with the help of the lovely Internet now I know. I guess people in this region are keeping the dream alive. I am not sure what their chances are but in 1941 they got close. Yreka was the capital and they even elected a governor. Cool story. I wonder if a civil war would break out if they tried again.

Sunday also marks the end of my field collection on Mt. Ashland. I am glad it is over. I have been working hard all summer on my Masters research. I have missed out on some serious activities this summer. Bummer. It is good to be back in SF for good. This semester is going to be busy, busy, busy, but hopefully in Dec. I will be a Master of Science.

1 comment:

Steph said...

In December can I start calling you the Science Master?