Thursday, August 31, 2006

check out the various dead things I see on the way to work

so I work at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. My adviser is based here and I come in every now and then to work on my project. I count fruit set and try to identify my insects I collected. It is a cool place to work. They have the largest collection of dead things in the entire state of California I believe. Everything, plants, dinosaurs, fossils, insects, fungi, mosses, mammals, birds, fish, everything. They even have a huge rock collection. There is this room on the 6th floor that houses the mammal collection. I have only glimpsed inside but there is a huge stuffed grizzly bear inside with a ton of other things. I have to get in that room. What an exciting post that would be. Working in a museum is cool, you do not know what you are going to see...
So my friend Mo works on cataloguing the mammals and birds here. This is her tray of work for the day. I am not sure what she does with them but it looks cool. My favorite is the cute mammal in the upper left corner. He is from Africa. he looks like a large mole. Soft!


Oh and an update on the dinosaur bones left in the street the other week. They assembled this tyrannosaurus. The new dinosaur exhibit is going to open soon. Should be cool. It is big. There are all these large animals all over the bottom floor. Cool. I love working here...

No comments: