Tuesday, October 24, 2006

a day at the zoo...

Today I went to the zoo with my class for a field trip. We went there to see the insect zoo and the curator of the insects showed us around. I had never been to the zoo before so I was pretty excited. I was not the biggest fan of the zoo system in my youth in that I thought it was animal jail. I have since learned that zoo's do great work with the conservation of rare animals and their breeding programs are top notch. I was glad I went.


Here is my class. They are an exciting bunch.

Here are a bunch of butterflies that were pinned, placed in glass, and hung on a wall.


Here are a bunch of dead trantulas. I love these spiders. They are so big and hairy. Most are pretty harmeless to humans but since many people are afraid of spiders they get a bad rap.
We got to see giraffe's. They are my favorite african animal. They are so tall and slender. evolution really did a number on these guys. The basic horse body plan was modified throught many generations to get a giraffe. A long neck to get branches. I wold love to see one in the wild.
Here is a big male gorilla. He has some great guns. I wish my forearms were as big and powerful as his. I learned some intersting facts today about gorillas. They have a brain 1/2 the size of ours and they weigh 500 lbs.
Here are some beetles that were pinned.
Check out this big tarantula.
Pink flamingos!
These small monkeys are the cutest things ever. I forgot to get thier species name but they were so friendly. They came right up to the cage and wanted food or something.

No comments: