Tuesday, July 17, 2007

magnolia!!

The other day as I was leaving the Academy after working on my thesis (yes, back on track) I came across a magnolia tree in bloom. If you have ever seen a magnolia tree you know what a treat to see the flowers are. They are large, leathery, and showy. They have numerous petals and reproductive parts. They are favored in the horticultural trade and are NOT native to CA. Magnolias are one of the oldest floral lineages. They are also well photographed!
The tree was small but there were a few flowers on them. I love how the light reflects off each petal creating different lights and darks. A perfect subject for any budding B&W photographer!
like I said these flowers are HUGE! This is my normal hand next to one for scale. Holy smokes!
I gorilla keyed this species via the Internet to Magnolia grandiflora. A total guess and I am sorry but there is no key for the ones found in California. This species is the most common so I am sticking to it! Go out and photograph one of these flowers if you get a chance!

2 comments:

Steph said...

If that's your "normal" hand, I want to see your abnormal one.

HaH said...

oh, magnolia's are my favorite flower on earth! I wish I could smell the lemony scent through your photos.