Wednesday, January 17, 2007

and the winner is....

So in an effort to know what is going on at the Golden Globes, betsy and I watched 4 movies in 5 days. On Wed, we watched "Notes on a Scandal" Friday, "Babel", Sat "Children of Men" and Sun, "Dreamgirls". My favorite movie was Children of Men. The idea was intersting, where humans were sterile and there are no children left on the planet. The movie also showcases lawlessness, kind of like how Iraq must feel. A great movie, but I think it is too new and wasn't nominated for anything. I loved the cinematography!

I was sure that Dreamgirls was going to win tons of awards in that there has been much hype surrounding this movie. It was good, I mean who doesn't like a musical, but I felt it wasn't the best movie of the year... "Little Miss Sunshine" was my pick for best picture-comedy/musical.

I also had my money on "The Departed" taking best picture in the drama category. Babel took top honer. I liked "Babel", especially how America always assumes terrorism whenever something happens to Americans overseas.... I thought that was brilliant, but the story was too wide, especially with the daughter. The Departed was a better film in my opinion, better cast and interesting characters.

The best part of the show (and unfortunately I did not get to see the entire show, dam you 24), was the acceptance speeches. The award winners were caviler in their thanking, especially Meryl Streep and Hugh Lauri. Good times.

No comments: