Friday, January 05, 2007

sustainability...

So for the Christmas shopping season I managed to by all my gifts (except for the TV) at local shops and boutiques around town. I really did not set out to do this but while looking for unique gifts for friends and family it just happened. I am really proud of this. What with globalization and all. So when I opened my favorite weekly today I was excited to read an article about this very issue. The report was conducted by the Business Alliance for Local Living Economics based in Berkeley (i think) Check the link above and read it. You too can make a difference. As consumers we have the power to dictate how consumer products are made by buying top quality products produced locally or in our country using American workers. I know it is impossible to stop globalization. Large manufacturing firms use foreign workers and factories as a cheap resource, often closing factories here for cheaper labor. In order to stay competitive companies have to cut cost wherever they can. By shopping local companies who make their products in this country, we can keep or money in this community instead of cooperate headquarters.
Check out the SFLOMA website for local businesses.

1 comment:

bex said...

shop local! please oh please don't let the entire US turn into one cloned shopping mall.