Saturday, December 09, 2006

death cab...

I was treated to a concert on Thursday night. Call it an early Christmas gift. I was so thankful that I got to see Death Cab for Cutie and Feist at the KFOG concert for kids with Betsy. The children. What a great cause.The concert was located at the Paramount Theater in downtown Oakland. I fell in love with it immediately. For starters, what a sweet marque. In San Francisco these old theaters are dying. it is good to see examples of old theaters thriving!

The inside of the theater had this great art deco feel to it. . This theater was designed in the 30's for sure. Back when going to a movie was an event, where you put on your best suit and jacket... I love this period in American architecture. (Another great example is the monument at the Hoover Dam.) I am glad they restored the theater to its full glory. Good job Oakland. We need to save more...

Here is the entryway. They had snowflakes dangling from the ceiling, Christmas decorations everywhere, and a big tree in the middle of the isle. The Paramount is a beautiful theater. I would love to see a movie here!

Betsy and I posed for a photo in front of the Christmas tree. it did not come out but we look hot...

This photo of the light on the ceiling did not come out... but it is stunning in person...
Check out these great seats we got. so soft and velvety!! The crowd was an eclectic mix of old KFOG listeners and young teenie bop O.C. watchers. For most of the concert people just sat there until DCFC played "soul meets body". The place erupted!

DCFC played all their hits and I sang along to my favorites (much to the annoyance of Betsy). The show was awkward in that I have never been so comfortable watching a show before. So comfortable it was like watching TV. The acoustics are amazing and I had a really good time. I helped the children. It's what it is all about!

2 comments:

Erica said...

nice work on the seats bets! the sparkling in your eye from the christmas ornaments just melts my heart steve santos.

Anonymous said...

I love the paramount! They have a tour there if you want to know more about the architecture, history etc. It's like the first Sunday of the month or something like that. Also, I am very jealous of your concert ticket hookup. I am green with envy.